Mission and Purpose
St. Anthony Retreat Center is sponsored and operated by the Sisters of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary as a non-profit center.
The Sisters of the Sacred Hearts Mission: "To contemplate, live and announce to the world the redeeming love of God as seen in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary."
St. Anthony Retreat Center invites individuals and groups to share the quiet atmosphere of Kalihi Valley. All persons whose philosophy and spirituality are in harmony with that of St. Anthony Retreat Center are welcome to spend time in prayer, reflection, and meditation.
Over 100 years ago, Bishop Libert Boeynaems purchased approximately 124 acres in Kalihi Valley with the expressed purpose of opening an orphanage for children. Bishop Libert asked the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary to run this home for children. In 1909, the Sisters welcomed 12 girls in the home.
The community of Sisters included Sisters Marie Berna - dette, Fabia and Marianik, with Mother Alexandrine as superior. St. Anthony’s Orphanage was popularly known as the Kalihi Orphanage until the late 1940s. Through the years, generous benefactors and community organizations — civic and military — have assisted in the expansion and renovations of this institution as well as the enhancement of its grounds. St. Anthony Home’s service to the community-at-large as a foster care facility ceased in the 1960s.
Sister Marie Gertrude in response to the Church’s need for retreat facilities, converted St. Anthony Home into a retreat facility in 1974. The Center was expanded between 1999 and 2008 with private rooms, cottages, dining hall, and conference rooms.
Today, St. Anthony Retreat Center continues to be a welcoming place for those seeking silence, tranquility, and inner peace. The Center offers group and directed individual retreat experiences.